Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The next 72 hours

First of all, Noah has the BEST home nurse, Michele. She's so receptive to me, Noah, and really proactive with Noah's treatment-- not to mention super-knowledgeable and SWEET! After talking with Dr. Baumeister (Noah's regular pediatrician), she wants work aggressively to get Noah off of his NG (feeding) tube. I was thinking, I thought we already were... haha... but it's the intent, right?

We have taken out (and left out) Noah's tube on two different occasions to see how he'd do eating exclusively orally. Both times flopped on their faces for different reasons, but perhaps mainly only because we didn't try for long enough. Sooo... today we are making a commitment to leave Noah's tube out for 5 days and only give him food through the bottle! The nurse said we can expect the next 72 hours to be BRUTAL (grrrreat, super excited for this!), but after that there is no reason that Noah shouldn't be able to regulate himself and eat. I am so excited, but I am on my knees begging you for prayer for these next few days, and begging the Lord for patience! I know Noah will probably be fussy and frustrated, and I just pray that he doesn't get so hungry that he's too exhausted to eat.

It's going to be a long weekend, plus I am headed back to Starbucks on Saturday. I'm going to continue to work 1 day a week so we can keep up our medical benefits and not go on COBRA until July 1. I know it will be nice to be out among adults, but I also know my family needs me at home now more than ever. Between Kyle and my mom I know the kids will be in good hands, and I will only be working 4 hour shifts so I won't have to worry about pumping and just being away for too long. I think it will be a good thing. We'll see!

On a side note, if you feel so led, please pray for the following families and their babies! Kyle's cousin Mike & Lisa (due with their first on April 23rd), my sister and her husband Steve (due with their first baby girl, Chloe, on April 23rd also!), My good friend Reebs and her husband Nick, due with TWINS on April 12th, but could pop any day, and baby Stellan (whose family I have never actually met, but have gotten to know through the blog community-- I know I'm crazy...) but her baby boy Stellan is in the NICU with heart problems and is in critical condition. Their blog is www.mycharmingkids.net if you want to read Stellan's story.

3 comments:

Bre said...

I'm so sorry that I didn't catch this blog entry when you first put it up, Andie :-( ...

... So, we're two days down, now, right? I hope it is going well!!! I am definitely praying like a crazy lady -k-

I can't believe you are going back to work (speaking of "crazy ladies"!). I know you know what you are doing, and you are so good at balancing everything, but I hope you take it easy ... don't kill yourself!

I love you so much, and am hoping that this 72 hours proves fruitful and you come out of it with a little independent eater ;-) We love that little guy!!!

All my love,
Bre

Susan said...

Your wonderful friends Nancy and Jim lead our home fellowship and have very faithfully asked us to pray for you and your family for several months. Your faith and resolve to glorify God in the midst of this storm are incredible. Noah is precious, you are glorifying God in a huge way and many people are praying. Just wanted to let you know-

All our love in Christ-

The Brady family

Brian and Angela Berry said...

I am a friend of Beckie's and a NICU nurse in Denver. I am very blessed by reading your blog and just wanted to say how proud I am of you. It sounds like you are so proactive for Noah. I hope the bottle feeding is going well. You are a beautiful strong woman and a blessing to me. I will keep you and your family in my prayers. Angela