Monday, May 25, 2009

g-tube Surgery

Last week was wild. For the first time since Noah's been born, he got an infection in his LM and experienced some major swelling (which is apparently common with his diagnosis, and you really have to watch for it), sending us to the ER at Children's last week. Thankfully it is being treated with antibiotics and swelling & redness has gone down dramatically. I was freaking out when he woke up with the swelling. I kept asking the Lord for a word, I kept hearing, "Trust me". So I kept saying, I trust you Lord, and He was faithful! This of course happened the week before his g-tube surgery... ahhh! It isn't totally back to normal, but most importantly its improving. If the antibiotics didn't work (and it wasn't an infection, but simply swelling in the area), they would've had to operate and remove a large amount of his hygroma. Which could be a mixed blessing. Of course I want that thing gone, but docs tell us that they have the best long-term outcomes with these if you do NOTHING, so we want to put off surgery as long as possible, or until it stops going away by itself. We're thinking when he's a year old. But, we'll find out more this weekend because at the same time they're doing the g-tube, we're going to have an MRI done to see how his cysts have changed over the past four months. Dr. Perkins said he could and would operate for removal at 6 months at the earliest, but we'll see.

On a side note,

The rest of the swelling from the infection last week could take a while to go away because the area was obviously already swollen anyway.

We're still planning on going ahead with his g-tube surgery this friday. I'm starting to get anxious about it. As much as I know it's going to improve Noah's quality of life not having that stupid tube down his nose and eliminate the puking that occurs after 50% of his meals, I still can't help but be sad that his perfect little tummy will now have a hole in it! Noah's docs continue to remind me that this can be very temporary and he could only need it for a few months, depending on how he does once we introduce solids in the next couple months. I'm super excited for this!

Kyle & I are heading to Seattle thursday night while we await the call for the exact surgery time on friday. Noah will then have to be hospitalized for a few days following the surgery, so we'll be staying in Seattle and my mom will be staying at our house with Ella. It will be nice to have a "vacation" for the two of us, even at the hospital hahaha.

Please pray for a quick & easy recovery for Noah. It breaks my heart that he'll be in pain, eventhough its a routine surgery and the long-term benefits outweigh the risks & pain. I'm still his mom and they're still cutting my baby boy, right? Please pray for the docs hands to be steady and stable, and that everything goes as routine. Lord, I know you're ultimately in control.

We had an awesome time with Kyle's cousin Pete this last week, getting to hang out and chat. We're so excited that he's moved up here for the summer at least, only 20 minutes away from our house. It's cool for Kyle to have some family close, and Pete is a blast. He even got Tuco to walk the canal OFF HIS LEASH and obey!

Here's a video clip that Kyle took this morning of Noah talking, so cute! Don't forget to scroll down and pause the music at the bottom of the page so you can hear him.

I'll be sure to update this weekend in the hospital, because without Ella I'll actually have time hahaha. Thanks for all the prayers!

3 comments:

Bre said...

Oh Andie!!!

I AM praying for you guys ...!!!

I loved the video at the end of your post :-) Even with his tubes and his cysts, he is SUCH a little cutie-pie - as perfect as any other sweet one of God's precious creations!!! I love him!!! A lot of the faces he was making were JUST like the ones Jack makes when Paul's playing with him ... I had to smile!!! He is ADORABLE, Andie!!!

I LOVE!

Darth & Jenni Creek said...

Andie, You have been on my heart so much lately. I'm glad for the update and will be praying for you and Kyle as you head to Children's. God was so faithful to get us through Braden's surgery days; I'm praying for His incredible peace to surround you and your family!
-Jenni

Anonymous said...

It's Friday.....and I am praying for you all! Anxious to hear. Granny