Saturday, July 11, 2009

Long time!





Hello all!
If anyone out there still checks in on us, I'm sorry it's been so long! Our dinosaur-of-a-computer can't get online and money is a lil too tight right now to be buying a new one. So... I'm at my mom's with the kids plopped in front of the Little Mermaid while I send out a quick update!


Lots has happened since... the beginning of June! Ahhh! We've been using Noah's g-tube for a while now, and I have to admit it's better than the NG tube that went down his nose. But... it's not all roses. About 3 weeks after he got it, it started to have granulation tissue (healing tissue) growing out of the hole in his tummy. It's been sooo annoying. Usually you just have to burn it off with silver nitrate sticks at the pediatrician's office, usually takes 2-3 times. Of course, Noah's body is a super-healer and everytime they'd burn it, it would grow more gran. tissue. So his body is totally doing what it's supposed to, it's not supposed to have an open hole in his stomach! So we've been using a steroid cream to shrink it, which has worked some, but it has not gone away. They said it may always be there, and as long as the g-tube is working and not leaking milk, they will just leave it there. Otherwise they will surgically remove the tissue. But for now, we're leaving it alone! Ahh!

On June 20th (Noah's 5 month mark) we started solids! I wouldn't say he loves it, but he eats it. Still lots of spitting it out, and he's got a strong gag-reflex, but who's not to say that is just normal baby stuff, right? It was a relief when he started eating it, but meal time is still stressful. We haven't seen OT in almost two months so I'm anxious to get started up with them again to start some more aggressive therapy. We have a great therapist in Seattle, unfortunately not here in Wenatchee, so its difficult getting in to her on a regular basis.

The other biggest issue we're dealing with right now is that the cystic pockets that were on the left side of Noah's face have started to fill up again with fluid. It's so odd; it's done nothing but shrink since he was born, and it was seemingly all skin on that side up until a couple weeks ago! We've noticed that it sometimes pushes his tongue to the other side of his mouth, so we're keeping close watch on it. Dr. Perkins said if it gets any better we will have to treat it with steroids and antibiotics like we did with the last infection. It doesn't seem infected this time, it's not red and doesn't seem to be causing him any pain, but he's been fussier at night and seems to have more difficulty getting comfortable. Again, more watching, waiting, and stressing.

I've had to go back to working 20 hrs/week (I was only working 1 day/week) in order to maintain our benefits w/ Starbucks. It's been nice, but exhausting. I'm working the 4:30am shift 4 times a week because of Kyle's work schedule, but it works. Lots of sacrifices for these little ones we love so much... The good thing is that I'm not traveling to Leavenworth (25 mins away), I was able to transfer to a store in East Wenatchee. So that's some relief. Plus I work with a great group of people! It makes those early mornings a little easier...

Ella is 2 1/2 (well, 3 in October) and is just the apple of her daddy's eye. She is such a joy. So sweet to her brother. She always helps me with him, gives him toys, plays with him, calls him a 'sweet boy', sings to him when he cries... she is so understanding. From other parents I've talked to, most siblings of special needs babies do not like their brother or sister because of all the extra attention and care they require... but Ella is the opposite. She is somewhat of a drama queen sometimes, ugh, but we're working through these wonderful two's and she's learning her boundaries. It's so nice to see some of the parenting consistency pay off. I thought those melt downs would never end! Not that they're gone! But they are way better, and she's learning to cope with her emotions. She absolutely LOVES to draw, and she's pretty amazing I must admit! I'll brag about her! I'll try and scan some of her art on here. Someday... :) She loves being outside too, playing with bugs and swimming in her pool... we've got our amateur vegetable garden that she loves to watch grow with beans, carrots, tomatoes ("boe-matoes")and pumpkins. She is in the "why?" stage, oh my gosh, it is out of control! Everything, "Why mommy?" so I explain. Then she says, "But why?" Love her curiosity and her love for life. God has truly blessed me with this sweet girl!

Have I mentioned that Noah is the sweetest boy?? His personality has come more and more alive. He LOVES to be outside, on the rare occasions that he gets fussy, all you have to do is throw him on your shoulder and take him out in the yard. He's gotten really coordinated, playing with toys and putting everything in his mouth. Everyone is saying he's looking more like me, but I definitely see Dad in him, too. He's a hefty 16 1/2 pounds, 76th percentile for height and 21st for weight, long and skinny.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we are still checking.......all the time, and praying for your family. So glad to hear! Is Courtney okay?

Tracy said...

Yay for updates, been a little worried about you guys. I'm so glad everything seems to be going well right now, you guys deserve it! Hope you are enjoying a wonderful summer!

Yes, how is Courtney?

♥♥

AshlieM said...

I have been waiting for you to update, I was hoping everything was going well. I am glad that you guys are good. Noah looks so much older in these pictures! I bet it is really hard going to work that early, I am sorry! Hang in there.
Love ya
Ashlie

Jason&Linze said...

Thanks for sharing, you're an amazing family :)

Bre said...

Andie,

It was SOOOOO good to read this update. I'm sorry that it took me this long to get to it!

The pictures are so cute of both of your babies!!! I can't believe how grown up Ella is and how much bigger both of them are just since your last pictures.

I love what you wrote about Ella ... it made me cry. What a sweetie-pie she is! Tell her Bre, Silas & new baby Jack miss her very much! I am so proud of what a great big sister she has turned out to be (and a helper for mommy) ;-)

I am sorry to hear about the frustrations with Noah's cyst, but so encouraged to see his fat little legs in the pictures :-) I know it must feel like two steps forward and three steps back, but you are doing SO good, Andie, and you've come SO far. Be encouraged, and keep on keeping on ...

Speaking of keeping on, I could go on and on, but I better not take up all of the comment space :-( Sorry.

I love! I miss!!!
Bre

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update sista-in-law! I love reading about what's new...can't wait to hold Noah and play with Ella in just a few weeks!

Skype before then maybe?

Love ya,
Lisa